Have you been in trouble when you can’t play any video or audio format in Windows Media Player ? It does happen with almost everyone who uses Windows Media Player. By default it doesn’t support formats like mkv, ogg, etc .
This problem can be solved by installing codec for a format that you want to play. The best way to do it is installing codec packs like CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack) or K-Lite Codec Pack. These codec packs supports almost all types of file that you might come across. But you must know K-Lite Codec Pack also installs lots of unnecessary items with it like Media Player Classic but you can always skip them.
Install K-Lite Codec Pack without unnecessary items including Media Player Classic :
- Download latest version of K-Lite Codec Pack from here. It comes with different versions like Basic, Standard, Full or Mega. We recommend you downloading “Mega” version.
- Click on it and choose “Advance Install” and click “Next”.
- Again click “Next” for choosing installation path.
- This is important step where you have to choose from Select Components. Choose “Profile 6 :Playback essentials without player” and click “Next”.
- Now you will be asked about DXVA hardware acceleration. Leave them “unchecked” and click “Next”.
- Now you will be asked about file association with media players. Make sure you check “Windows Media Player” or any other player you want and click “Next”.
- Now you will have file association option for Windows Media Player. Just click on “select all video” and “select all audio” and click “Next”. In the final prompt, click “Finish” and you are done.
This way you don’t have to install unnecessary items with K-Lite Codec Pack.